Monday, April 22, 2013

Tater Tot Casserole, For the Win (FTW)

I did it.  I embraced the Minnesotan and made a Tater Tot Casserole (Hot Dish).

A co-worker said to me today, after I proudly announced my weekend accomplishments, "What's with you Minnesotans and your Tater Tots?"  I mean, I knew Tater Tot Casserole (or Hot Dish) was a thing, but I didn't know Tater Tots, as an entity by itself, were a thing for Minnesotans.  Anyway, I asked Kevin what he wanted for dinner on Sunday and he named it into existence.

In true wifey form, I kind of took a recipe and tweaked it to be my own, so here it is:



2 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 can of Progresso Recipe Starters Mushroom version (or you can use Cream of Mushroom soup)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 medium onion
1 can of corn, drained and rinsed
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 package of frozen tater tots

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Chop up the onion and brown it with the beef.  Season to taste with pepper.  Some people like to add extra salt here, but I chose not to.  
  3. Meanwhile, combine about 2/3 can of the Recipe Starters, sour cream, and most of the corn in a bowl.
  4. When onion/beef is done, distribute in the bottom of a casserole/hot dish sized pyrex.
  5. Pour the soup mixture evenly over the beef/onions.
  6. Cover with a thin layer of the cheese.
  7. Top with frozen tater tots - for best results and taste, make sure the tots fully cover the top ;)
  8. Keep it in the oven for about 30 minutes, give or take.
  9. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Note: the original recipe I riffed off of said to put MORE cheese on top of the tots.  I thought the one smaller layer was quite enough!

Next time I make this, I'm going to make it with real shredded beef from the slow cooker and attempt to make the yummy cauliflower tots that are all over Pinterest these days.  I was thinking it would be good with some green peppers and/or some green beans added too.  That's how I'd healthify it, anyway!  

Enjoy, my friends. Enjoy.

ELP


No comments:

Post a Comment